Contributor: Barry & Lorin Turner
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1 (2 pound) venison backstrap, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices,
- tendering either with a mallet or by the processor
- 2 c buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. hot pepper sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. ground black pepper
- 3 c vegetable oil for frying
- Place the venison slices into a shallow bowl and pour in the buttermilk and hot sauce. Stir to coat, then cover and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. (It’s hot enough when a pinch of flour sizzles in it.) In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt and pepper. Add a few drops of milk to the flour mixture and stir well. This is what makes the crunchy pieces.
- Dip the venison slices into the flour, then into the egg and milk, then back into the flour. Shake off excess flour. Fry in the hot oil until lightly browned on each side, about 3 minutes. Remove with tongs and drain briefly on paper towels before serving.